These are ridiculously versatile. The basic recipe I’m giving you here is scrambled eggs, cheese and black beans, but you could just as easily do just cheese and beans, or add diced cooked potatoes, or chorizo, or breakfast sausage, or bell peppers and onion (or even mushrooms, though those tend to change color when frozen), or bacon/ham, or chilaquiles (super bonus points for anybody who knows what those are!) or whatever your little heart desires.
- 24 eggs (may omit, and increase cheese to 2lb)
- 1 ½ cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1lb Monterrey Jack or Cheddar cheese*
- Two 15oz cans of black beans
- One jar of mild salsa**
- Beat eggs and water until fluffy, seasoning with salt and pepper, and scramble. Let eggs cool.
- Warm tortillas, wrapped in a clean dish towel, in microwave – about 10 seconds on high power per tortilla. Make sure to keep them well covered in dish towel so that they remain pliable.
- Grate cheese (again, I love love love doing this in my food processor because it takes less than five minutes, and I can get on with the important things in my life. Like hugging my food processor.)
- Spoon a loose ½ cup of eggs into the center of a tortilla. Add 2 (heaping) Tb of cheese, 1 Tb beans, and 1 Tb salsa. (If omitting eggs, double the beans and cheese)
- Fold the top and bottom of the burrito down to seal the ends, then proceed to roll the wrap and place seam-side down on a parchment-lined jelly roll pan.
- *You can buy pre-shredded, but I hate the desiccated processed stuff, and hate paying for the good stuff that's already shredded - would much rather grate myself, by hand or with the grating attachment in my food processor.
- **I usually make my own salsa, but I just don’t have it in me to go through the trouble if it’s not going to be spicy, hehe
To serve, cut in half and place in chilled lunchbox – burrito will be thawed by lunch time. Otherwise, you may heat the wrap (we do 4 minutes for 2.5 wraps in the microwave), cut in half, and place in food thermos for kids to eat hot at lunch time.
- RECIPE 1: Ridiculously-Easy Cinnamon Apple Chips
- RECIPE 2: Ridiculously-Easy-And-Totally-Worth-It Tomato Sauce
- RECIPE 3: Pesto Chicken Wraps (or Pesto-Mozzarella Wraps)
- RECIPE 4: Breakfast Burritos
- RECIPE 5: Broccoli Cheese Corndog Muffins